"Art is my vehicle through life; may we share the ride together." Ron Wickersham

Thursday, September 14, 2017

A few art projects

I've been catching up on some art projects for swaps this past week.

First, I am participating in a round-robin altered book swap. Each person has chosen or made a book of their choice and decided on a color scheme. Then we are rotating the books through the group so that everyone creates a spread in each book.

This month I received a tiny little book with blue and rust as the chosen colors.

This is the spread I created, each page measuring approximately 3" x 4." I found a very old piece I had done as an encaustic wax sample years ago (the image of the little boy) and built my spread around that. The background is several layers of Stormy Blue and Vintage Photo Distress Inks. The metal gears and the chipboard clock die cut were covered in Prima's Rust Paste kit (three colors dabbed on randomly until it looked nice and rusty).  These elements were layered over a partial doily and a strip of script paper. Lastly I added some typed words and a metal Tim Holtz word band altered with distress paint.


The book owner had asked us to write a bit about our inspiration or how the page came together so I taped the right page into a pocket with the following page. I added a distressed tag inside with my explanation. I hope she likes it!

I was hostess for another quarterly swap where we are revisiting old techniques.  This quarter the technique is "Cracked Glass" (aka Shattered Glass) and the substrate needed to be either an ATC or a 4"x4" art piece.  For this technique, several layers of embossing ink and UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) are placed over a stamped image. Then it is put in the freezer to completely cool for about 15 minutes. After removing, it is gently bent in several places to make it crack.

I stamped the butterfly image over a previously distressed paper of turquoise and brown inks. Once it was cracked, I added it to a background of Vintage Photo Distress ink layered with a doily and the "FLY" 3-dimensional alpha stickers.



3 comments:

Sue Kosec said...

That little boy and the spread you created is absolutely adorable. But what really caught my eye was the freezer/crackle ... and I love butterflies.

Great work, Susan!
xo
SuZeQ

SewPaperPaint said...

I love those tiny pages Susan! And the cracked glass technique looks fantastic! Mine never work, but maybe I don't freeze them long enough. Love this inspiration! Hugs, Autumn

Linda Manning Findley said...

love these ... cracked glass is looking good ... I found out that you really need to use lots of embossing powder (MANY MANY) layer if you use fine embossing powder, which I did but it was a fun thing to try again ... thanks for the inspiration ...

Linda